Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Sticky Buns

 Ingredients

  • 18 Rhodes Rolls
  • 1/2 of 1 small package butterscotch pudding powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cube of butter
  • cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

 Preparation: ~8 hours before cook time

  1. Place frozen rolls in bottom of dutch oven.
  2. Sprinkle dry pudding powder on top.
  3. Melt butter and brown sugar together
     and drizzle on top of frozen rolls and pudding.
  4. Sprinkle cinnamon generously on top.
  5. Sprinkle pecans on top.
     Leave in lidded dutch oven to thaw and rise.
     Timing is not too specific.

 At Cookout:

  6. Bake for 30 min. at 350 F.
     (May take up to 45 in dutch oven).
     Estimate for 6 quart, 12 in. dutch oven:
     8 coals on bottom, 16 on top.
  7. After 30 minutes, check if doughy inside.
     If not done and tops too brown, move all coals to bottom.
  8. Remove from heat, let set 5-10 min.
  9. Turn over onto serving platter.
     The whole mass should detach together
     and fall onto your platter.
     (Don't forget hot-pads or gloves,
     and serving platter or pizza pan!)

Notes:

   This has been a favorite for many years - my family's traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas morning breakfast. We love it. Mom has since shifted to using whole wheat rolls, often homemade. If not frozen, they need much less time to rise.
   Adapted from a bunt pan recipe. If you happen to have a bunt dutch oven, kudos.
   I used 24 rolls, and it was a bit much. I also used a taller (8 quart I think) dutch oven, and had to use 30 coals instead of 24, and left it in for about an hour because I was afraid my rolls were doughy, and that was way too long, causing the gooey deliciousness to be tougher and the rolls over-browned on the tops. I've given my estimations for a normal situation above. I also used a whole packet of pudding powder, and that was also a little too much. Best stick with Mom's tried and true recipe, as described above.


 

3 comments:

  1. I've made these before in a normal oven, so I thought it would be fun to try this one. It went really well! They were super delicious and didn't get burned or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this recipe! Don't be afraid to try it out if you are using a normal dutch oven--mine is a 12", but it is extra deep and the recipe worked great. Only issue was my buns were a little doughy in the middle. (MCKENNA SORK)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good recipe! Simple but looks fancy ;)

    ReplyDelete