Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Dutch Oven Banana Bread



Ingredients:
3 Overripe bananas
1/2 C Butter softened
1 C Sugar (I used 1/2 C brown sugar & 1/2 C white sugar)
1 Egg beaten
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1.5 C Flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. Baking soda
Nuts optional
(extra butter and flour for creating non-stick surface)

Grease your Dutch oven with butter and then sprinkle flour over the butter to ensure the bread does not stick to the oven. In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nuts (if you choose to add them). In a separate bowl, smash the bananas until there are no large chunks. Add the bananas, butter, and egg to the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. Pour the mixture into the Dutch oven. Place 18 coals on the top of the oven and 6 coals underneath (3/4 of the coals should be on top). Cook for an hour rotating the Dutch oven and lid every 15 minutes.

I doubled the recipe putting some in the normal oven as well, so I probably had 1.5x what the recipe calls for in my Dutch oven. I also added a few more coals about halfway through baking because I waited too long to put my coals on and they were already very ashy when I started my bake. It turned out very good though! It was cooked evenly and I was able to turn it out of the Dutch oven without a problem.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this and I worked great! I left out the cinnamon and nuts though. I also put it into a bread pan and cooked it over 4 balanced rocks in the bottom of the Dutch oven.

    ReplyDelete