Saturday, March 29, 2014

Basil Parmesan Orzo

by Ashleigh and Telyn Peterson


• 1/2 tsp butter flakes (I used about ½ tablespoon real butter for class)

• 1/2 cup orzo pasta

• 1 tsp dried basil

• 1/2 tsp dried parsley

• 2 Tbsp freeze-dried corn (I used canned for class about 3 tbs.)

• 3 single serving Parmesan or Romano cheese packets (I got the big can of it for class)

At home: Combine everything but cheese in a quart size freezer zip lock bag. My substitutes were for convenience for class, if you were backpacking the flakes, freeze-dried, and packaged stuff would be better.

On the trail: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and then add to the zip lock bag. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Add more water if needed. Stir in the cheese just before serving. (For class I cooked mine in a pan, if you cook in a quart size freezer bag you don’t have to clean the pan)

Makes 1 serving

This recipe courtesy of One Pan Wonders

I found this and other great recipes at www.wildbackpacker.com

1 comment:

  1. This is a great recipe. My wife and I loved it and thought it would make a great meal when backpacking. A tip I would give is to bring along some salt. Mine was very bland, and I needed to add quite a bit of salt and some pepper to really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete