Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Easy Dutch Oven Pizza

by Megan Hatch


When I use my dutch oven while camping I am all about Easy.  I don't want to spend too much time on the prep or cooking, but I still want the end result to taste good.  This recipe is a real winner and requires almost no prep.

1 can ready-made pizza dough (or make your own)
1 jar pizza sauce
Pizza blend cheese (as much as you want on your pizza)
Choice of Toppings (I used Canadian bacon, tomatoes, and onion)
Cornmeal (for bottom of the dutch oven)

1. Preheat dutch oven lid using about 20 heated briquettes
2. spread a small layer of cornmeal on the bottom of your dutch oven
3. Spread pizza dough into a circular shape on the bottom of your dutch oven.
4. Spread onto dough desired amounts of pizza Sauce and toppings
5. Cook in preheated dutch oven for about 15-20 minutes
6. When pizza dough looks almost cooked add cheese on top and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

*I rotated my dutch oven every ten minutes to avoid burning.
* In a dutch oven the pizza toppings need to be added before the cheese because they require more time to cook.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe and super easy. I put flour on the bottom of my dutch oven instead of cornmeal and it turned out great. Also, I put 8 briquettes on the bottom and 22 on the top of my dutch oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is great and there is a lot of room for experimenting (with toppings). One thing I learned, is make sure you allow proper time for your dutch oven to preheat. I did not allow enough time for this; as a result, my pizza took significantly longer to cook (resulting in a burnt bottom). The second pizza turned out great and cooked very quickly.

    ReplyDelete