Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Lemon Strawberry Shortcake

By Sarah Baird


12" Dutch Oven

For the Cake:
1 cup sugar
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs
1-1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced

For the Topping (optional):
2-3 cups freshly whipped cream or canned whipped cream/topping
fresh strawberries, sliced or halved 

Directions:
Grease and flour a 12" dutch oven.

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in strawberries. Pour into prepared dutch oven.

Bake at standard dutch oven heat (10 charcoals beneath, 14 on top) for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove lid and let cool for at least 10 minutes. 

Slice and serve with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Enjoy!



*Adapted from http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/lemon-strawberry-shortcake/#_a5y_p=1823855

3 comments:

  1. This recipe is absolutely delicious! It takes a little bit more effort than a lot of dutch oven recipes but the result is definitely worth it! The cake turned out spongier than I expected but I think this is a result of making it in the dutch oven. I originally used whipped topping from a can but if I were to make it again I would recommend freshly whipping your own cream. This recipe may be difficult to make in the great outdoors but if you are doing something closer to home or just want the dutch oven taste, this recipe is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic recipe that worked out really well for me! Although, when I cooked it, it burned a little on the bottom so I would move maybe 2 coals from the bottom to the top.

    Before I cooked it, I rubbed the dutch oven with some butter and it didn't stick even a little bit. Also, the recipe said to cook for 45 - 60 minutes, but I would advise against that. Mine cooked in about 25 - 30 minutes.

    But overall, fantastic recipe! Go heavy on the lemon though! 1 lemon didn't come through too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was incredible!
    I had a few extra brickets (30 in total). It took 45 minutes and did not burn, but I did put shortening and flour in which I think helped.
    I hand squeezed the lemon (make sure to take the seeds out first) and added three tablespoons of lemon juice. The lemon flavor was PERFECT.
    I also added blackberries with the strawberries which was simply delightful.
    Overall this is a wonderful recipe and I will definitely make this again in the future!

    ReplyDelete