Monday, April 6, 2015

Moroccan Chicken Stew with Artichoke Hearts and Carrots

by Peter Moody


 

Here is the recipe from bonappetit.com 
Original link: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/moroccan-chicken-stew-with-artichoke-hearts-and-carrots

Ingredients
SERVINGS: 6–8
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound frozen baby artichoke hearts
1 pound carrots, peeled, sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Steamed couscous
Chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preparation
Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender and starting to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and next 4 ingredients and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and lemon zest and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; stir in chicken, artichoke hearts, and carrots; simmer until vegetables are tender and chicken is just cooked through, 10–15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide couscous among shallow bowls; spoon stew over and garnish with parsley

I found this recipe fairly easy. It takes longer in a Dutch oven that it would on the stove top, but did quite nicely.  It was not as flavorful as I had hoped when I made it. On retrospect though, I realized I forgot the lemon zest and am not confident that I had the right amount of each spice (my tablespoon measuring cup disappeared so I had to approximate). Additionally, I couldn't find frozen artichoke hearts and so bought ones that where marinated in brine instead. I didn't add the brine, but perhaps this and the missing seasons lowered the flavor intensity.
I made the couscous beforehand and the stew was warm enough that the room temp couscous was okay, but would be better warmed.  
Overall it was a good recipe. I would recommend this if you want a good stew that sounds impressive but is easy enough to make. 


No comments:

Post a Comment