Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Scalloped Potatoes

 This is adapted from a recipe my family grew up eating often as a side for Sunday dinners. It lends itself to handle different herbs, spices and add-ins well, so have fun. I included what I typically mix in as optional ingredients.

Ingredients

4 TBS Butter

4 TBS Flour

1 tsp Sugar

1 1/2 tsp Salt (or to taste)

1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper (or to taste)

2 tsp Onion Flakes

3 cups Milk

6 cups Thinly Sliced Potatoes (think potato chip thin, I enjoy using reds with skins on, but russets also work well)


Spice it up:

2 tsp Dried Rosemary (optional)

1 tsp Dried Oregano (optional)

1 tsp Dried Basil (optional)

1 tsp Paprika (optional)

1 tsp Dried Parsley 

1 TBS Minced Garlic (more or less to your taste, I personally love garlic so I added a bit extra)

1 cup diced ham or cooked bacon bits (optional)

1 1/2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated)


Directions

Melt the butter (add garlic here if desired and let it cook for one or two minutes until fragrant). 

Add flour, sugar, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth. Gradually add in milk. Stir in potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally (if desired, mix in spices/herbs, half of the cheese, and ham at this point). Cook at 350 for 50-70 minutes (adding the rest of the cheese on top at about the 50 minute mark). I rotated the dutch oven every 15 minutes or so. 

Do NOT stir for the 50-70 minutes, you want the top to brown nicely. It will be very loose at the beginning, but as it cooks the mixture thickens very nicely. If the melted cheese results in too much grease pooling, you can dab it with a paper towel once it has browned. 

 I used 7-8 coals on the bottom and about 24 on top with a deep oven, be ready to place about 15 more on top and 3 or 4 underneath halfway through.








2 comments:

  1. I made these last weekend and they were perfect! I was running a little short on time so I microwaved the potatoes beforehand and shortened the cooking time and it worked out perfectly. I also substituted the various herbs for Italian Seasoning and it turned out delicious. This was a tasty and easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I boiled my potatoes beforehand to save time, which I'm glad I did because it still took me a while to cook. The top of mine didn't brown as I'd hoped, so next time I'll try adding more coals on top.

    ReplyDelete