Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dutch Oven Delicious Chili

by Michaela LaBlanc

 

I basically used a combination of two recipes I found online:




Ingredients I used (for 10 in. oven):

1 lb. ground turkey

1 can black beans, with liquid

1 can hot chili beans, with liquid

2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeno peppers, cored and seeded, chopped
Fresh cilantro
2 T. oil
2 T. chili powder
2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 T. flour (to help with thickness)
Additional garlic powder
1-2 T kosher salt, to taste
2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. Cumin
2 t. Cinnamon
2 T brown sugar

1st Step: Place almost all briquettes underneath oven. Let dutch oven heat up. Brown meat ahead of time. Otherwise, brown meat first in oven.  
2nd Step: If you brown meat ahead of time, do not put meat in yet. Heat 1 T oil in dutch oven and add onions, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Make sure to stir often to prevent burning. Add meat.
3rd Step: Add 1 T oil, 1 T kosher salt, 1 t. black pepper, the flour, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, brown sugar, cilantro, jalapeno. Stir and let cook for about 2-3 minutes.
4th Step: Add both cans beans and tomatoes. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes, up to 3 hours, depending on how long you can wait! Make sure to taste the chili as it simmers and add salt and more seasonings as you need according to taste.

Serve with corn bread and honey and a side salad.  

PS: For a 12 in. or larger dutch oven I would add 1-2 cans more of beans and another can of tomatoes. Adjust the rest of the ingredients according to your taste.

4 comments:

  1. Way good chili!
    Not a big fan of ground turkey however so I tweaked the recipe a bit and used ground beef instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the best chili I've tasted and DEFINITELY the best chili I've made. It has a really good blend of flavors, kinda sweet, kinda spicy and really good! I mixed chili beans with kidney beans and it turned out pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 6 members of my family, including myself, readily consumed this dish. A couple of my kids can be picky so for them to eat it without a fuss spoke well of the dish. My wife especially raved about the taste.

    I thought the ratios of meat, tomatoes, beans, and vegetables were appropriate. The food to liquid ratio was also appropriate. The previously cooked dish was a cobbler so I tasted a small residual flavor intrusion.

    I think the original quantity of jalapenos, chili powder, and black pepper would be ideal for my tastes. I liked the extra celery. I thought the cumin was still too strong and would exclude it next time (personal preference). I also would consider keeping the cinnamon quantity lower than original recipe.

    The quantity of chili produced was significantly more than my family of 6 could eat for one meal. I would consider using the 10” recipe for the 12” oven to make the portion more manageable for my family.

    Conclusion:

    I would make this recipe again with the modifications suggested above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This chili recipe was amazing. It's simple, yet really delicious. It fed my wife and I for days in our 10 inch oven. Next time, I would probably dial down the brown sugar just a bit. It seemed a little strong, but it was still delicious.

    ReplyDelete