Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Jambalaya


by Kirsten Caceras 

(courtesy of dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com)

12" Dutch Oven

2 1/2 c. white rice
5 c. water
2-3 Tbsp. butter
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped
A lot of garlic (probably 5-6 cloves), minced
1/2 lb. high-quality smoked sausage(approximately; you can actually use a little less if you buy, say, a 14-oz. package of sausage)
1/2 lb. ham
1/2 lb. shrimp or chicken (I used shrimp)
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (you could use another Cajun or Creole seasoning, but this brand is widely accessible and cheap) to taste.

Bring the water to boil in a 10" dutch oven.  Add the rice, cover and cook 20 minutes or until rice is tender.   Remove from heat and allow to stand an additional five minutes.

While rice is cooking, finely chop sausage and ham.  I cut my sausage into 1/4" slices and then quartered them.

Melt butter over a full spread of coals in a 12" dutch oven. When butter is hot and bubbly, add onion, green onions, green pepper, and celery and cook until tender. Add chopped meat and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce and then add cooked rice. Now start seasoning with the Cajun seasoning. It will be spicy.  Cook for about 10 more minutes, stirring frequently. Serves 8-10.



3 comments:

  1. This jambalaya was my favorite out of all the dishes I sampled. Thanks for posting this so I could make it. It was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten, I loved your jambalaya at the cook-off, so I had to try it at home!

    I ended up leaving out the ham and forgot to do green onions. I also decided to try a spicy sausage. Overall, it turned out great! And my husband loved it, so that's always a bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This jambalaya was great. Mine didn't turn out as spicy as I thought it would. I think I should've added more creole seasoning or some cayenne pepper would've worked.

    ReplyDelete