Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Creamy Peanut Butter Bars

by Camry Arbon


14" Dutch Oven

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 cups oats

Frosting

2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter

Cream butters and sugars.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.  Press into a greased dutch oven and bake at 350° for 15-28 minutes or until golden.  Don't over bake or they get dry.  For the frosting, melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter together and spread over bars.  Serves 12-15.

 **I cooked this in a 12" dutch oven and it worked out great.  I cooked it for about 23 minutes and the bottom burned a little bit and they were a little dry but other than that they turned out great.  If I made them again I would shorten the cooking time.



1 comment:

  1. This one was beautiful and delicious, and perhaps hard to get wrong. I was partway through cooking it when I realized I had forgotten to mix the peanut butter in (I remembered when making the chocolate sauce)! I opened it up, mixed it in (which may have made them less fluffy), and it still turned out great! And all this despite my taller dutch oven (8 quart I think).

    Notes: I used Adams peanut butter - unsweetened, and I think that was best, as they were plenty sweet anyway! I also used whole wheat flour and you couldn't tell. And it was, I think, just as good as leftovers!

    ReplyDelete